Have you heard of dry skin brushing also called as garshana in Sanskrit? This simple technique of dry-brushing has been used for thousands of years in India and is a must, if you want to have a healthy, clear, and toned skin!
Incorporating this 5 minute simple do-it-yourself technique, in our daily routine, especially in Summer helps us to have a smooth and satiny skin which we all so long to have – right?!
Per Ayurveda, dry-brushing has to be part of one’s wellness routine and needs to be practiced daily to benefit from the results. Garshana is an ayurvedic dry massage performed on dry skin (hence the name) that refreshes and stimulates the skin and lymphatic system, enhancing blood circulation and the release of accumulated toxins. Typically this is performed by using raw silk gloves. You could also use soft sponge, or a dry brush that gently removes dead skin layers leaving the skin supple and glowing. I highly recommend using the naturally woven raw silk gloves as they do an amazing job!!
Dry-brushing is invigorating, so best time to do this, is in the mornings before you shower. How do we do this? here we go….
1. You need to massage your entire body except face, and heart (do not brush hard you’ll have to start very gently at first especially if you have a sensitive skin).
2. Always remember to brush towards your heart (as much as possible).
3. Begin with your head using circular motions.
4. Move to neck and shoulders using long strokes.
5. Continue with arms with long strokes and circular motions at the joints.
6. Massage chest horizontally with long strokes, avoid heart and breast area.
7. Use clockwise spiral motion to massage your stomach.
8. Use diagonal strokes to massage lower back and buttocks.
9. Massage legs with long strokes with circular motions at the hip joints, knees, and ankles.
10. Finish this ritual with long strokes over the feet and then shower.
You will feel wonderfully invigorated when you are finished and your skin will glow!!
Avoid dry-brushing if your skin is sunburned, rashy, or irritated. Do not share your silk gloves with anyone else and wash the gloves with soap and water every week to keep it free of skin debris.
In one day, our skin eliminates more than a pound of waste including perspiration, through thousands of sweat glands. If our pores are clogged there is no way for these toxins to escape. Dry- brushing comes to our rescue and is an excellent routine to add to our day.
Dry-brushing Benefits …here are few important ones
- Stimulates the lymphatic system, which also helps to eliminate toxins from the body
- Balances hormones
- Tones and firms the skin
- Increases circulation and increases blood flow to the surface of the body
- Helps your skin to breathe by removing dead skin cells, and opening clogged pores
I encourage you to make this your daily ritual and soon you will be pampered with soft,lovely, balanced skin that is rarely dry, rarely itches or rarely breaks out. Truly, beauty to behold!
Resources: Deepak Chopra Tathaastu